How to stream AVI, MKV, MP4, Flash video to Apple TV from Mac?
If you have high-definition TV(HDTV) or videos in AVI, MKV, MP4, SWF formats and want to watch these movies on TV, you need Airplay for streaming videos to Apple TV from iOS devices like iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, as well as MacBook Pro.
Many TV users maybe encounter the problem that unable to stream video on Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation). In this article, I'll help you discuss the problem, and find out the resolve solutions. You just need to read the following guide.
Part 1. Convert videos to Apple TV compatible format
Here I depart the all the videos into two types:
1)Videos can be played by iTunes or QuickTime, like .MP4, .M4V, .MOV formats.
2)Movies can not add to iTunes or QuickTime, such as AVI, MKV, Flash video, RM, etc.
Convert MP4, M4V, MOV videos to Apple TV by iTunes or QuickTime
If you can play a movie in iTunes but you can't sync it or stream it to Apple TV, select the movie in iTunes and then choose Advanced > Convert selection for Apple TV. This will create a new copy of the video in your iTunes library that is compatible with Apple TV.
You can also use QuickTime Pro to convert your content that opens in QuickTime Player, into a format playable on Apple TV. QuickTime 7 Pro includes a new export option that supports H.264 video encoding up to 1280x720, 24 fps Progressive depending on your source material.
In QuickTime Pro, choose File > Export > Movie to Apple TV to create an Apple TV compatible file.
Convert videos in AVI, MKV, RM, Flash video to Apple TV H.264 format
For the videos can not be played by iTunes or QuickTime Player, such as WMV, AVI, DivX, RM, and Flash video files, you won't be able to convert them to play on Apple TV. You'll need a third-pary software here I use Apple TV Video Converter to convert these movies to a format compatible with Apple TV.
This Apple TV Video Converter can convert all popular video files into MPEG-4, H.264 formats that's optimized to Apple TV. You can convert AVI, MPEG, WMV, DivX, MOV, XviD, RMVB, RM, MKV, FLV, SWF to Apple TV, even convert 1080P videos to play on Apple TV. Wether you're a low level user or technical user, this software could satisfied you needing to stream all kinds of videos to Apple TV.
- To convert videos in .avi, .mkv, .swf, .flv, .rm to Apple TV compatible formats, please at first download the Apple TV Video Converter (Windows Version, Mac Version)by clicking the right version you need. That's a trial version without charging you.
- Luanch the program and add video files to the software for converting to Apple TV files. Click "Add" icon from "File" menu, select the movies in your local disk folder, then hit on "Open" to load. You can add several files and convert at a time to save your time.
- Convert videos like AVI, MKV, Flash video to Apple TV format
You can make "general" or "advanced" settings in the left panel of the program. That leads you set the video and audio parameters to get customized video quality. For low level users, the defualt settings is enough. Then hit on "Convert" button to start video to Apple TV conversion process.
OK! Now you get all kinds of video files compatible with Apple TV for watching. The start the steps of streaming videos to Apple TV from iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac or MacBook.
Part 2. Streaming videos to Apple TV from Mac
Get your AirPlay ready
AirPlay is developed by Apple Inc, makes it possible to stream movies to your TV using wireless technology. You should note that only Apple TV software 4.2 or later support video streaming via AirPlay. You can update Apple TV software if it is necessary.
Go to the Settings menu, choose General, scroll down to "Update Software" and click. The Apple TV quickly check the available update, and you can go-ahead to download and install.
After the updating of the Apple TV software, go back to the menu, look over in settings to find AirPlay. Check it to make sure AirPlay service is "On". Make sure that Apple TV and your iOS device are connected to the same wireless network. Here you can also set a password to avoid other users on your wireless network putting their content on your TV.
Start streaming videos to Apple TV from iOS devices like iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/iMac/MacBook
- When the video to Apple TV format conversion process complete in part 1, click "Open Folder" to locate the converted files
- Then open iTunes, choose File -> Add File to Library to import the converted video files to iTunes or just using simple drag and drop mode.
- Hit on "Play Movie" button in iTunes, the movie will be played. Then you'll notice an AirPlay icon in the bottom right of iTunes. Tap the button to see a list of available Apple TVs, and then select the one you want to use. Then your music and videos will start streaming to Apple TV from your devices.
Then the HD videos begin to play on your TV. And it looks perfect. To stream videos in AVI, MKV, WMV, RM, SWF, FLV format from iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, drage and drop the converted Apple TV files to iTunes on your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. Then tap the AirPlay button to stream HDTV on your Apple TV. Then your iOS device screen is black and shows the playback controls. Take iPad for example as the below picture: